Audition for The Tales of Hoffmann
By Jacques Offenbach in a new English adaptation by Daniel J. Brylow
Saturday, September 8, 2018 from 11 AM—3 PM in Ann Arbor at the Earl V. Moore Music Building
OBLIGATION: Rehearsals in Ann Arbor from April 29–May 16, 2019; Performances on May 17, 18 and 19, 2019
TO DO LIST
- Fill out the online audition form here
- Review the repertoire requirements below and prepare the 16-bar excerpts for the role you feel best suits your voice
- Send a résumé and headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bring 2 printed résumés
- Bring your music for the pianist -- you do not need to provide the pianist with a copy of the excerpts
- Expect a confirmation of your time within the window requested on September 4, 2018
*Note: In this adaptation, there is no Lindorf, and Coppélius, Dr. Miracle, and Dapertutto are sung by a corresponding soprano who also sings one of the heroines.
*Sopranos interested in singing a heroine also need to prepare the heroine and villain excerpts for their audition, though you should feel free to transpose and adjust by octave as necessary. If a soprano is singing the heroine's aria as her aria or contrasting aria, whether in French or another English translation, then it is not necessary to prepare that excerpt; i.e. If you are singing the whole Doll Song as "one of your two," you do not need to prepare the excerpt for Olympia. We hope you find this adaptation as exciting and a dramatic challenge as we expect it will be!
- Nicklausse (mezzo-soprano): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria. PLUS Excerpt from “You dare to peer under the curtain” (Voyez-la sous son éventail – p. 22-23; NB: Only necessary if Voyez-la is not one of your two arias)
- Olympia/Dr. Miracle (soprano): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria. PLUS Excerpt from "Doll Song" (p. 63-64) AND Act 2 Trio “She is calling” (Tu ne chante ras plus? – p. 156-157)
- Giulietta/Coppélius (soprano): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria. PLUS Excerpt from Act 3 Septet (Helas! mon coeur s'egare encore – p. 216-218) AND Act 1 "Buy my eyes" (J'ai des yeaux – p. 26-27)
- Cochenille/Frantz/Pitichinaccio (character tenor): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria. PLUS Excerpt from "Scrub the carpets” (Jour et nuit – p. 112-113)
- Ghost/Antonia's Mother (mezzo-soprano): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria. PLUS Excerpt from Act 2 Trio “She is calling” (Tu ne chante ras plus? – p. 149-150)
- Crespel, Schlémil (bass-baritone or baritone): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria.
- Spalanzani (tenor): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria.
- Ensemble, SATB 16 members with bit parts assigned from the ensemble: One aria or song in English.
- Hoffmann Cover (tenor): One aria in English plus a contrasting song or aria. PLUS Excerpt from Duet "High on a hilltop" (C'est une chanson d'amour; p. 127-128)
If having difficulty in downloading any of these files, or have any questions regarding the excerpts, please contact us at email@example.com
A pianist will be provided. There is ample parking onsite.
If you are unable to make it for a live audition, electronic materials—including recordings of the above required selections as MP3s—will be accepted through September 8. Submit all required materials in a single message, with your name clearly labeled on all files, to firstname.lastname@example.org